10 random modern day money takeaways: Snapchat, the FTSE & La La Land
Here is some food/money for thought this Tuesday morning!
1. At the back end of last year, the Office for National Statistics stated the average price of a house in London is around £484,000. Stamp duty on a house costing this amount would be £14,200, however, for those purchasing an additional home it's a whopping £28,720. Think before you leap!
2. The FTSE 100 index began on 3rd January 1984 with a base level of 1000. Investors were begging for a constantly updated index and thats just what they got - it’s calculated in real-time and published every 15 seconds when the market is open.
3. The Money Advice Service estimates around 8.2 million adults in the UK (or 16.1% of the population) are ‘over-indebted’ and struggle to manage their borrowing habits. Younger adults, larger families, single parents and renters are most at risk of living with problem debt.
4. Figures from the UK Cards Association show that the total amount spent online by us Brits last year stood at around £154 billion - a shocking £422 million on average spent a day! The UK currently spends more online per household than the USA, Norway and Australia.
5. In 2013 it was reported that 5.5 tonnes of Nutella, worth around $20,710 at the time, was stolen from a parked van in Germany. Don’t see the fuss? According to the Telegraph, at the start of 2015 1 jar was sold every 2.5 seconds worldwide!
6. In 2013, Snapchat co-founders Evan Spiegel and Robert Murphy reportedly turned down a $3 billion offer for the company from Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg. Since Snap Inc (the parent company of Snapchat) went public this year, both lads currently have a net worth which surpasses Zuckerberg’s original offer for their whole company!
7. Damien Chapelle’s smash hit ‘La La Land’ had a production budget of a 'modest' $30 million. Apparently, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone shot the film in LA on a tight schedule of just 42 days. Just to put this into perspective, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story reportedly had a production budget of around $200 million!
8. These days we all see our favourite celebs endorsing a new protein shake brand or teeth whitening product on Instagram for a quick injection of cash. Check the below out from our friends at The Economist...
As you can see....social media endorsement can be a lucrative game, even for those sitting in the band of 100k-500k followers! Jeeez...I need to start posting more naked selfies.
9. According to Forbes (as of 7th Dec 2016), around 40% of Kim Kardashian’s annual pay check supposedly comes from her mobile game ‘Kim Kardashian: Hollywood’, which generated $71.8 million in 2015. In the game, the number one goal for the player is to increase their fame and reputation…shock!
10. If you don’t subscribe to www.moneysavvyravi.com in the next 24 hours you will have 24 years of bad luck with your finances…